Once a month, the first Thursday and at various places, members meet to discuss a variety of books. The book group operates just a little differently than most; each month they choose a theme and participants read any book connected with the theme. Some themes have been Maine authors, mystery, historical fiction, biographical non-fiction, etc. With each person bringing a different book to the group, cross-pollination of ideas and viewpoints is sparked. If your interest runs to book groups, then contact the following:
- Mary Salamone (207-773-3022) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the fourth Thursday of each month, a group of CCREA members get together to enjoy one another’s company while they sample the culinary delights of the Portland area. Place and sign-up are announced at our monthly luncheon meetings. For more information, you may contact one of the following:
- Mary Salamone (207-773-3022) e-mail: email@example.com
- Edith Young (207-797-4951)
A group of theater-goers attends local (Portland-South Portland) theater preview events at reduced or no cost at the following theaters:
- Portland Lyric Theater (South Portland) – Thursday evening performance prior to opening – $10
- Portland Players (South Portland) -Thursday evening performance prior to opening – $5
Join Linnea Farrar and others at these performances. To find out particulars (dates, times, etc.) call Linnea at 767-2343 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Internal: greeters for each meeting, phone pals, state convention of retired teachers, legislative liaison, etc.
- External: too many to enumerate, but includes literacy tutoring, in-school work with students, knitting hats for premature babies, help for immigrants, work with non-profits, docents, etc.
Other Ad-Hoc Activities in which we engage:
- Magic of Christmas, PSO
- Other concerts: Portland Symphony Orchestra, Choral Art Society, etc.
- State Convention of MEA-R every May
- Group trips to places of interest
- Group attendance at special events